LANEHAM PARISH COUNCIL

 

Minutes of the Parish Council Meeting held on

Monday 11 June 2012 at 7.00pm at the Village Hall, Laneham.

 

PRESENT: Parish Councillors (PCllr) Phil Baines (Chair), Fred Clark, John Cobb, Elaine Collier,

David Myers

Bassetlaw District Councillors: S Isard & K Isard

In attendance:   Susan Flye (Clerk)

 

1.    APOLOGIES

Corrina Simpson- Kane, Cllr J Hempsall

 

2.    DECLARATION OF PERSONAL AND PREJUDICIAL INTERESTS

None

      

3.    POLICE REPORT

Not available.  Two thefts of oil were reported at Dunham and the theft of a quad bike in Laneham.  A spate of thefts of catalytic converters from 4xwheel drive vehicles was noted.

 

4.    MINUTES OF MEETING HELD 14 MAY 2012

The minutes of the meeting dated 14 May 2012 were agreed to be a true record, proposed by David Myers, seconded by Fred Clark

 

5.    MATTERS ARISING

a     Advertising boards – BDC planning department have responded that this is a matter for NCC Highways.  Awaiting a response.

b     Trentside illegal parking – no further complaints received and no contact from Lincs Police.

c.    Dog fouling/waste bin – BDC have included in their budget for an additional litter/dog waste bin to be located at the playing field, Broadings Lane.  Contact details of the Dog Warden have been obtained and the Clerk was instructed to request a visit to the village and advice on signage. Dog fouling is a serious issue particularly in the Church Laneham and Broadings Lane areas.

d.    Village Hall roof – Phil Baines to contact a roofing contractor for advice.

e.    Parish Plan – all reminded of its relevance as reflecting the views of residents but the meeting also noted BDC’s core strategy document in respect of planning matters.

f.     Street Lighting – the Clerk has submitted a request that alternate street lights should remain on throughout the night.  Noted that light number 36, near the Church, is still switched off at night whereas it had been confirmed that 36, 37 and 38 would remain on.

g.    Filing cabinet for village store – P Baines to organise with Cllr Isard.

 

6.    PUBLIC DISCUSSION

The meeting closed at 7.15 pm for public discussion and immediately re-opened.

 

7.    CLAYHOUGH LANE – UPDATE FROM NOTTS COUNTY COUNCIL

NCC confirmed in receipt of information in respect of rights of access.  L Summers to contact regarding the installation of gates at either end of the lane.  A resident had raised the question of footpaths becoming dead ends.  L Summers reported that Laneham footpath no 12 will be dead-ended whilst byway no 9 is subject to the temporary closure.  The meeting assumed that walking access would be provided down the side of the gates.  Clerk to confirm with Laura Summers.

 

The closure is to be extended to 6 months.  NCC are contacting BDC as the drainage authority for information.  Cllr Isard confirmed the BDC contact is Ian Davies. 

 

8.    GRASS CUTTING

Elaine Collier commented on the very poor state of the grass cutting at Church Laneham, the grass has been cut badly and is very long.  The meeting noted Mr Walker Snr was in poor health and the cutting is being done by his son and also noted that recent heavy rain would have put work schedules behind. Clerk to contact Mr Walker. [Later: Reported to the Clerk by Fred Clark that the grass had, subsequent to the meeting, been cut satisfactorily.]

 

It was reported to the meeting that the verge on Main Street, opposite Ivyholme Cottage generally cut by Mr Scrini had become overgrown following holidays. Mr Scrini is happy to continue to cut the grass if it can be cut to a level his mower can deal with.  John Cobb agreed to cut the grass.

 

9.    ACCOUNTS

-      Mr M Fanthorpe                 000923                    £358.33                        Cleaning

-      Susan Flye                        000924                    £124.98                        Wage

-      Came & Company             000925                    £277.55                        Insurance renewal

-      F Clark                              000926                      £15.00                        JC petrol/grass cutting

Payment of cheques proposed by Fred Clark and seconded by John Cobb.

 

A cheque in the sum of £1,100 had been received from the Memorial Hall Committee from their fund raising efforts as a contribution towards the village hall boiler replacement expenses.

 

The insurance renewal effective 1 June 2012 was noted.  The Parish Council’s insurance along with the Village Hall insurance policy to be reviewed for savings prior to the next renewal. Clerk is in contact with the Treasurer.  The insurance valuation of the War Memorial and the Village Hall were discussed, the meeting was concerned that valuations may be inadequate.  Fred Clark suggested contacting E Hurton & Sons for advice regarding the war memorial valuation.  The Clerk was instructed to write to Hurtons.  Phil Baines offered to investigate the village hall valuation.

 

The meeting noted with appreciation that Mr John Smith had carried out an internal audit of the accounts and Audit Commission annual return which were now to be submitted to auditors Clement Keys.  The Clerk read the supporting notes to be submitted with the return and financial accounts.  Full copies are available from the Clerk on request.

 

NatWest on-line banking – Cllrs again signed an application form and agreed that service from NatWest was unsatisfactory.

 

10.   PLANNING MATTERS

a.    Bassetlaw site allocations consultation summary documents – noted.

b.    Lafarge Aggregates Limited, Rampton Quarry variation of conditions and alternative restoration scheme NCC had granted permission.

c.    Butchers Arms – alteration to garage block – permission granted by BDC.

d.    Springhead Fine Ales – change of use to public house ground floor – permission granted by BDC.

e.    Cottam Power Station/EDF Energy – copy of planning application received from NCC regarding ash and the lagoons.  Elaine Collier agreed to review DVDs provided.

 

11.   CORRESPONDENCE

An application was received from Mr Gavin Sumnall to be co-opted as a parish councillor.  The Clerk was asked to clarify the period of residency required and the procedure to be followed.  Mr Sumnall to be invited to attend the next meeting when his proposed co-option would be put on the Agenda.

 

The meeting was provided with and reviewed a folder of correspondence – in particular the Clerk drew attention to BDC’s Community Governance Review, Audit Commission’s consultation on the appointment of external auditors for 2012/13, NALC’s new code of conduct and new procedures in respect of disclosable pecuniary interests.  A full correspondence list is available from the Clerk on request.

 

12.   LANEHAM LAST MONTH

Phil Baines to organise a “thank you” gift for Mr Smith in respect of his work as internal auditor for the village.

 

Elaine Collier reported that the notice board near the river had been vandalised – she is organising repair. She also noted that planters, baskets etc had not been planted and kindly offered to undertake.  The meeting was happy for a note “Sponsored by Trentfield Farm” to be included.

 

David Myers reported that two residents of River View had agreed to look after the planting at the Meadow as discussed at the last meeting.

 

 

THE MEETING CLOSED AT 8.07 PM