LANEHAM PARISH COUNCIL

 

Minutes of the Parish Council Meeting held on

Monday 10 October 2011 at 7.00pm at the Village Hall, Laneham.

PRESENT: Parish Councillors (PCllr) Phil Baines, Fred Clark, John Cobb, Elaine Collier, Corrina Simpson-Kane (Chair)

Bassetlaw District Councillors: Keith Isard, Shirley Isard.

Nottinghamshire County Councillor: John Hempsall

PCSO Claire Walker – police report only

 

1.    APOLOGIES

David Myers

 

 

2.    DECLARATION OF PERSONAL AND PREJUDICIAL INTERESTS

Elaine Collier declared a personal interest in Planning Matters relating to Trentfield Farm.

      

 

3.    POLICE REPORT

PCSO Claire Walker attended the meeting and reported:

- 2 thefts from vehicles parked overnight on Main Street (15/16 and 21/22 September).  Items were stolen from both vehicles and all are strongly advised not to leave items in cars.

- 3 thefts from Manor Farm caravan park

The non-emergency number is changing to “101” with effect from 7 November replacing the previous 0300 number.  Calls are charged at a rate of 15p/call.

PCSO Walker also informed the meeting of the theft of overhead electricity cables in the locality.  Vigilance and early reporting of anything suspicious is essential.

 

 

4.    CHRISTMAS TREE LIGHTS

The meeting agreed to adopt the same procedure as Christmas 2010.  Phil Cable to organise.

The meeting agreed to make a donation of £50 to St Peter’s Church as a contribution towards the Christmas lights.

4 villagers had offered to donate pot grown Christmas trees.  It was decided that 2 larger trees would be preferable to 4 small and it was agreed that Phil Cable would put this suggestion to the 4 villagers involved.  It was noted that a member of the Parish Council is to donate a Christmas tree.

 

 

5.    MINUTES OF MEETING HELD 12 SEPTEMBER 2011

The minutes were agreed to be a true record, proposed by John Cobb, seconded by Elaine Collier.

 

 

6.    MATTERS ARISING

a)    Broading Lane sign still not received – Phil Baines to speak to Di Fisher.

b)    Trentside, Church Laneham.  The clerk confirmed that Strawsons of East Drayton were unable to help in cutting the overgrown Bell Holt & Wharf field.  John Cobb agreed to approach Dick Hewitt who had quoted £46 to carry out the work.

c)    Clayhough Lane – still awaiting a response from Notts County Council. Clerk to chase again.

d)    Public Conveniences – Fred commented that considering their age the public conveniences are satisfactory.  Elaine agreed that it is not simply a matter of cleaning.  PCllrs to visit to see if work/expenditure is required.

e)    Plaque for Bus Shelter – Phil had looked into this but the cost was not viable.  He is looking into the alternative of a laminated notice to go in the Notice Board.

f)     Maintenance Issues – Notts County Council have confirmed all jobs are in hand.

g)    Village Hall Heating – Phil Baines confirmed that a plan for the new heating system is in hand.  He had attended a meeting of the Village Hall Committee and all are aware.  The committee are looking for sponsors for radiators.  The Committee are very anxious that work commences before problems of freezing arise.  It was agreed that if necessary the existing heating would be left running.

       Elaine Collier confirmed that she had now applied for a grant from the NCC Councillor.

       Further to 12 September meeting, Chris Longbottom had reported to the Clerk that the amount raised by the Village Hall Committee is subject to confirmation after expenses etc have been deducted.  The meeting now agreed that it was not necessary for monies to be paid into the Parish Council’s current account.

h)    Village Hall Ridge Tiles – Steve Philp has confirmed that he is not able to carry out this work in the immediate future.  Fred Clark suggested Jason Oates and Phil Baines agreed to speak to him.    

i)     NHS Rampton Hospital Community Forum Minutes – Elaine confirmed that she had read the minutes - nothing to report to the meeting.

 

 

 

 

 

JC

 

SF

 

 

CS-K

 

 

PB

 

 

 

PB

 

 

 

EC

 

 

 

 

 

PB

7.    NCC STREET LIGHTING CONSULTATION PAPER

The meeting discussed NCC’s proposals for Laneham which proposes street lighting to be switched off between 12 mid-night and 5am.  The meeting had no strong objections but asked the Clerk to request that lights 36/37/38 outside the Church be left on.  The meeting agreed that the increased risk of theft from the Church was unacceptable.

 

 

 

 

SF

8.    PUBLIC DISCUSSION 7.40pm

Conifer cuttings were reported dumped on the Laneham to Drayton Road.

The meeting formally re-opened at 7.42pm.

 

 

SF

9.    AUDIT COMMISISON ANNUAL RETURN 2010/11

The Clerk confirmed that Clement Keys (CK) had finalised the 2010/11 Audit.  CK asked that  the following points be drawn to the attention of the Parish Council:

-  unable to provide a copy of the 2010 “Closure Notice” to CK.

- CK queried the variance between “Receipts” for 31 March 2011 compared with 31 March 2010 – this related largely to a donation received from the Laneham Village Hall Archive Project.

- CK queried the variance in staff costs 31 March 2011 compared with 31 March 2010 – it was noted that the previous long serving clerk had accepted a low salary.

 

Arrangements were made to display the “Closure Notice” for 2011.  Elaine to display on all notice boards and confirm by email to the Clerk when this has been done.

 

 

 

 

 

 

 

 

 

 

 

 

EC

10.   PAYMENT OF ACCOUNTS

                                                                                Chq no

       -    Ex parish clerk Di Fisher           £266.72          000885

       -    Parish Clerk Susan Flye              £83.33          000886

       -    Clement Key (accountant)         £162.00          000887

       -    M Fanthorpe                            £358.33          000888

       -    HMRC                                       £66.60          000889

       -­    K Walker                                  £120.00          000890

The above proposed for payment by Elaine Collier and seconded by John Cobb.

 

The Clerk reported the receipt of a cheque value £1.15 from Western Power Distribution in respect of a wayleave.  Clerk to investigate details.

 

 

 

 

 

 

 

 

 

 

 

 

SF

11.   PLANNING MATTERS

- TRENTFIELD FARM, removal of planning condition 1 of P.A. 28/00/00003 “the amount of caravans/tents to be sited shall not exceed 25”.

 

Elaine Collier declared a personal interest in this issue.   Elaine was present during the discussions to answer questions from the other Councillors but she was not eligible to vote.

 

The question was raised as to how many caravans/tents would be sited at Trentfield Farm if the restriction were to be removed.  Elaine Collier confirmed there would be a maximum of 70.  The removal of the planning condition would serve to legalise the existing situation at Trentfield Farm.  It was confirmed that sewage was not an issue as Trentfield Farm is not served by the mains sewer but has cess pits.

 

2 councillors objected to the removal of the planning condition and felt the restriction to a maximum of 25 caravans/tents should remain in place.  Removing the restriction would result in increased traffic to an unacceptable level.

2 councillors were in agreement that the condition should be removed.

The clerk was instructed to report accordingly to Bassetlaw District Council.

 

- EDF ENERGY – Cottam power station ash disposal site / north and south lagoons.

The councillors had been issued with detailed information prior to the meeting.  The meeting noted that this is a review of an environmental impact assessment and is a request for a “Scoping Opinion” - it is not a planning application.  The meeting had no comments at this stage.

 

-      The meeting noted BDC had granted permission to the following applications with various conditions.

       -    Lakinwell – extend garage at front

       -    West View Cottage – extension to form garden room

       -    The Croft – rebuild existing chimney and recover existing roof

All applications had previously been reviewed by the Parish Council and no objections raised. 

The Clerk reported that all applications could be viewed on line via BDC’s planning portal.

 

The meeting reviewed correspondence from NALC re planning issues and agreed that the clerk should forward details of planning applications to councillors by email with the application number and councillors would review on-line prior to the meeting.

 

The meeting also considered BDC’s paper “Revised scheme of delegation for determining Planning Applications” – no comments.

 

 

 

 

 

 

 

 

 

 

 

 

 

 

 

 

 

 

 

 

SF

John Cobb gave apologies and left the meeting at 8.10pm.

 

 

12.   CORRESPONDENCE

a)    NCC Local Improvement Scheme – consider in 2012.

b)    Parish Councils Liaison Group – no-one available to attend.  Later:  Date for diaries – the next meeting is scheduled for 25 January 2012.

c)    Health & Safety Risk Assessment Training – 22 November.  Clerk was asked to forward to Chris Longbottom and the Village Hall Committee.

d)    RCAN – bulk oil purchasing scheme.  To be displayed on village notice board.

e)    Village SOS – the Big Lottery Fund are offering rural communities grants to develop a community enterprise.  Closing date 20 October. Information previously emailed to PCllrs.

f)     Invitation to “Energy Day” at Everton 19 November – noted.

g)    NCC “Annual budget consultation 2012/12”.  Details previously emailed to PCllrs.  Noted.

h)    New Councillor training – 30 November.  Not required.

i)     The Allotments Regeneration Initiative – n/a

j)     Anglican Church in Southern Africa appeal – noted.

k)    Boundary Commission for England – PCllrs to review www.independent.gov.uk/boundarycommissionforengland

       in respect of changes which will effect Laneham.

 

 

ALL

 

ALL

 

SF

EC

 

CS-K

 

ALL

 

 

 

 

 

ALL

13.   REPORT ON INTRODUCTION TO CHAIRMANSHIP TRAINING

CS-K apologised for non-attendance due to illness.

PB raised several issues from the training session.

-      Standing orders for a parish council meeting.  Clerk to request details from NALC.

-      Correspondence – if relevant and important, each item should be detailed on the agenda.

       It was noted that the Clerk emails correspondence to PCllrs on receipt but will also provide a folder of correspondence to be reviewed at the meeting.

-      Matters Arising – should be individual items on the agenda rather than reading through the last minutes.

­-      Newspaper reporting.  PB highlighted the need for care in respect of media interpretation of information provided.  Reports to the media to state clearly if matters reported are from the “unadopted minutes” or are a personal view. PB suggested that newspaper reports should be approved by the Chair of the meeting prior to submission.  FC objected and CS-K suggested they both speak to Linda Ogilvie of NALC to clarify.

 

 

 

 

SF

 

 

SF

 

 

 

 

 

FC

CS-K

14.   LANEHAM LAST MONTH

Elaine Collier reported dumping of electrical and other rubbish in Shortleys Lane.  Clerk to report.

 

 

SF

The meeting closed at 8.47pm