LANEHAM PARISH COUNCIL

 

Minutes of the Parish Council Meeting held on

Monday 9 July 2012 at 7.00pm at the Village Hall, Laneham.

 

PRESENT: Parish Councillors (PCllr) Phil Baines, Fred Clark, John Cobb, Elaine Collier,

Corrina Simpson- Kane (Chair).

Bassetlaw District Councillor: S Isard

In attendance:   Susan Flye (Clerk)

 

1.    APOLOGIES

David Myers, BDC Councillor K Isard, PC Bailey

 

2.    DECLARATION OF PERSONAL AND PREJUDICIAL INTERESTS

None

      

3.    POLICE REPORT

PC Bailey confirmed by email that there were no recorded incidents of crime although there was a report of stolen trees at the fishing lake.

 

4.    MINUTES OF MEETING HELD 11 June 2012

The minutes of the meeting dated 11 June 2012 were agreed to be a true record, proposed by Elaine Collier, seconded by Fred Clark

 

5.    MATTERS ARISING

a     Advertising boards – still awaiting a response from NCC Highways. 

b     Trentside illegal parking – reported that trespassers had moved off the land.

c.    Village Hall roof – Phil Baines is dealing with this.

d.    Filing cabinet for village store – PB to make contact with K Isard to organise.

e.    Grass cutting – the Clerk was instructed to send a current grass cutting schedule to Mr Walker.  An invoice had been received for 3 cuts and the Clerk was instructed to question the date of the first cut in June.

f.     PB confirmed he had organised a thank you gift for the internal auditor.

g.    Dog fouling/waste bin – The Dog Warden had visited Church Laneham and Broadings Lane and confirmed that he had put up additional signage. Leaflets are available for house to house distribution.

h.    Best Kept Village competition – confirmation has been received that Laneham & Church Laneham have not progressed to the next stage of the competition.  The meeting queried some of the comments made by the judge and asked the Clerk to respond.

i.     Street Lighting – NCC had responded to the Clerk’s request for a minimum of alternate street lights to remain on throughout the night, reporting that a 6 month review would be conducted.  FC suggested that in view of recent events in the village we should amend our request and ask for all street lights to remain switched on.  Agreed by all.  Clerk instructed to confirm to NCC. Meantime street light number 36, near the Church, is still switched off at night.  Clerk to contact NCC

 

6.    PUBLIC DISCUSSION

The meeting closed at 7.25 pm for public discussion.  A member of the public confirmed agreement that the grass cutting at Church Laneham, raised at the last meeting, had been poor but had been rectified.  The meeting re-opened. At 7.27pm.

 

7.    CASUAL VACANCY FOR A PARISH COUNCILLOR – APPLICATION BY MR GAVIN SUMNALL

The Parish Council were very pleased to receive Gavin Sumnall’s application. Gavin is already known to some of the parish councillors who had a discussion with him prior to the evening’s meeting.  GS was present at the meeting as a member of the public and was asked to leave the meeting while a vote on his application was considered.  The meeting was unanimous in confirming GS’s appointment, who was then invited to join the meeting.

 

8.    NEW CODE OF CONDUCT AND REGISTER OF MEMBERS’ INTERESTS

The Clerk reported that a new code of conduct had to be adopted under the rules of the Localism Bill, both BDC and NALC had provided a template for the parish council’s adoption.  NALC confirmed that they would continue to provide help and advice if the NALC version was adopted and stated that this version was more appropriate for a small parish council.  A copy had been provided to all by email.  It was decided that everyone should take the opportunity to study this document carefully prior to the next meeting when a vote would be taken on its adoption.

 

BDC had also issued paperwork for the Register of Members’ Interests.  The Clerk distributed individual copies and asked for these to be read carefully and completed for the next meeting.  Any questions to be raised as soon as possible.

 

9.    CLAYHOUGH LANE – UPDATE FROM NOTTS COUNTY COUNCIL

NCC confirmed that this byway would be CLOSED to ALL users for the duration of the current closure and for sufficient time following the reinstatement of the damaged surface to allow it to consolidate.  Once reinstated the byway will be opened to all users.  Thereafter the gates will remain open unless weather conditions or other circumstances are likely to make the surface vulnerable to damage or if the surface is undergoing repair.  At this time if the gates are closed access will be available to pedestrians, horse riders, cyclists, motor bikers and persons who have a private right of access.  There was no timescale given for installing the gates. 

 

The meeting felt that progress was being made but as no timescale was being set returning Clayhough Lane to an attractive asset to the village could be some time off.  Clerk instructed to continue to pursue NCC for action.

 

10.   ACCOUNTS

-      Mr M Fanthorpe                 000927                    £358.33          Cleaning

-      Mr P Cable                        000928                    £207.45          Christmas lights

-      Susan Flye                        000929                    £122.90          Wage

-      Susan Flye                        000930                        £6.45          Stationery etc.

-      K Walker                           000931                      £60.00          Grass cutting

-      P Baines                           000932                      £14.58          Audit gift

-      J E Asset Ltd                    000933                      £30.33          Replacement Perspex plastic for damaged notice board        

Payment of cheques proposed by Fred Clark and seconded by John Cobb.

 

A request had been received from the Parochial Church Council for the PC’s contribution towards graveyard expenses.  £700 was included in the budget for this and an additional figure for the Church Ministry.  Clerk to confirm to the next meeting so that a cheque could be raised.

 

11.   PLANNING MATTERS

Planning application – land adjoining Springfield Lodge and Springfield House – erection of detached bungalow, garage and siting of caravan.  The meeting noted that outline planning permission was already in place and raised no objections.  The Clerk was instructed to return the BDC enquiry appropriately noting that the PCC relied on BDC’s officials to ensure that roof tiles and building materials were in keeping with the locality.

Apple Tree House – unauthorised change of use.  BDC informed the PC that the breach of planning control has been resolved.

Springhead Fine Ales – it was noted at the June meeting that permission had been granted for change of use to a public house. The Clerk highlighted that a condition of the permission is the provision of surfaced and delineated car parking, segregated from the adjacent storage area.

 

12.   CORRESPONDENCE

The Clerk provided a file of correspondence – a list is available on request. A letter was received from Nottinghamshire County Council stating that the PC was unsuccessful in its application for funding towards the village hall heating system.  Mr Cable requested confirmation of the date for switching on the Christmas lights in the village as volunteers needed to be organised.  Confirmed for Saturday 15 December.

 

13.   LANEHAM LAST MONTH

- JC raised the problem of vans parking on the footpath near Butchers Mews and blocking access.  PB will make contact and ask that a way through be left.

- Grass cutting on the riverside frontage from the notice board down to the beck.  JC suggested D. Lewis be asked to do this work.  Previously quoted £23.50/hour.  JC to organise.

- Notice board at bus shelter.  Names to be erected.  PB to organise.

- The problem of the height of the hedge near Appletree Cottage between the bus shelter and Clarks had been raised.  There was discussion as to who owned the hedge as there had been complaints that it obscures the view on the corner.  It was understood that it had been planted by the occupiers of Appletree Cottage and PB offered to speak to the owners.

- The kissing gate adjacent to Top Town Bridge is very overgrown and access is difficult.  JC to take a look and cut back if possible. 

- The footpath on Laneham Road is in poor condition.  It was felt that this is the responsibility of Dunham Parish Council.

 

 

THE MEETING CLOSED AT 8.21 PM